Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Veggie Awesomeness


I certainly don't consider myself a vegetarian ( I love my steak!), however I do try to incorporate a large amount of vegetables into my diet. A way that I love to eat my veggies is on a sandwich!  I happened upon the notion of a veggie sandwich on my birthday a few months ago. I was at a pub with my friends and wasn't feeling the best, so I knew I didn't want to participate in the typical greasy pub fare. To my surprise, this pub offered a veggie sandwich. I was skeptical until I took my first bite, MMMM!!! That sandwich was amazing! Since then I have tried many different variations of the veggie sandwich and have found all of them delightful. Below is my favorite sandwich from the always delicious website dancing carrots !

Via dancing carrots
Make it! 

Whole wheat bread **I use gluten free bread**
Cucumbers (peeled & sliced)
Tomatoes (sliced)
Green and /or red peppers
Alfalfa Sprouts
Avocado (mashed) **If you don't like avocado or want to try something different,  I like to use a good aioli or spread garlic hummus on the bread**
Sliced Monterey Jack Cheese – (or vegan cheese) **I personally think that a quality mozzarella cheese tastes the best**



PREPARE:  Scoop out avocado and mash in a bowl till smooth.  Season with garlic salt and chopped green onion to taste. Slice remaining veggies and cheese and set aside for the construction of sandwiches.
FINISH:  Layer a slice of whole wheat bread with avocado spread… then simply layer remaining veggies & cheese on whatever order captures your imagination.  Top with sprouts and last layer of bread and cut diagonally.  Pierce with a toothpick and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Design by Fabulous K