Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What I Am Cooking For Thanksgiving


Every holiday/birthday or general family assembly since I was a teenager, I am always asked to make my deviled eggs. You might say they have a cult following within my family.In an effort to achieve perfection, I have experimented with so many different ingredients (anchovies anyone?) and techniques that I feel I can confidently say, I have mastered the basic deviled egg! Below is my base recipe.




From Food Network

Ingredients 
 
12 eggs
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons sweet relish
Salt
Pepper
Paprika, for dusting

Directions

Place eggs in a large wide saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil for 12 minutes.* Remove eggs and and cool in refrigerator. Remove shells from eggs and slice in half lengthwise. Separate egg yolks and place into a bowl. Place whites on a separate plate. Add mayo, mustard, relish and salt and pepper, to taste, to yolks and mash together with a fork until creamy and smooth.* Using a large star tip and resealable plastic bag, pipe the yolk mixture back into each egg, enough to fill yolk holes completely. Dust tops with paprika. Refrigerate.* 


*Tip 1-To get the perfect hard boiled egg, boil them for one minute at a rolling boil and then remove from heat. Let them sit for 45 minutes until cool.

*Tip 2- Use about 2 tablespoons cream cheese in the mixture, this will make the consistency smooth.

*Tip 3-Chop up real pickles for the relish, using the pre-chopped neon green stuff makes your mixture way too runny!

*Tip 4- Adding a dash of garlic powder makes all the difference.

*Tip 5- Ideally you will want your eggs to sit in the fridge for about 45 minutes before you serve them to give them time to set.

*Tip 6- Use Miracle Whip, not mayo. Trust me.

Fun fact-Did you know that the deviled egg can be seen in recipes as far back as ancient Rome?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Design by Fabulous K